Once a person has added USB (or any networked printer) to PC or Mac computer, he/ she can be able to send documents for the printing process. However, on occasion, a print command will create an error on the printer and take it offline, which will prevent all future jobs from printing. There are various ways to turn printer from offline to online. Some of them are mentioned below:
By removing and reinstalling the Printer:
This process is a very simple process to turn printer from offline to online. For this, a person may be needed to download some drivers as well as OEMs applications. Steps to proceed are mentioned below:
- Firstly, Disconnect the printer from a device (such as a laptop, PC).
- Navigate to Devices and go to the option Printers and Scanners.
- Tap the printer that a person wants to remove and Select the Remove device.
- After this, plug the printer.
- Windows will automatically add it and also, install the needed drivers.
- If a person’s device does not see the newly connected printer, then he/ she will need to add it online by clicking on Add a printer or scanner >select the link that displays “The printer that I want isn’t listed.”
- Now, a person has to install the printer manually. This includes downloading as well as installing the required drivers. To set the Printer to “Online” Manually, follow the below-mentioned steps:
- Click on the Start icon and go to the Control Panel and select the option Devices and printers.
- In question, right-click the printer.
- Select the option “See what’s printing”.
- A new window will be open. Here, from the menu bar (displaying at a top) select the option Printer.
- From the drop-down menu, click on the option “Use Printer Online”.
- The printer will turn from offline to online.
By changing the setting of the printer can Turn Printer from Offline to Online.
If a person wants to change the status of the printer then by changing the settings, he/ she can turn a printer from offline to online. PC instructions and Mac instructions for such cases are mentioned below:
- PC Instructions: PC Instructions are mentioned below:
- Open the Start menu.
- Click on the “Devices and Printers” icon.
- Step 2 will open a window with a list of the printers that are currently set up on a device.
- Double-click on an icon of the printer a person wants to change a setting (offline to online).
- Step 5 will notify the status of the printer. This step displays two options “Printer: Ready” or “Printer: Offline.”
- Click on “Printer: Offline” plus the Printer menu will display on the screen.
- Click on “Printer” in the menu bar.
- Uncheck “Use Printer Offline.”
- By following all the above-mentioned steps, a person can change the printer from offline to online.
- Mac Instructions: Mac Instructions are mentioned below:
- By clicking on an icon in the Dock, Open System Preferences.
- Go to the Print and Fax control panel (Hardware category).
- Select the printer that a person wants to take online (a list that is displaying on the left side of the screen).
- Now, Tap the “Open Print Queue” option.
- Tap the “Resume Printer” option at a top of the queue window.
- The printer will be switched from offline to online.
By running the printer troubleshooter:
Printer Troubleshooter can also turn the printer from offline to online by resolving connectivity issues, driver issues, restart printer related services, and many more. Steps for this are mentioned below:
- Go to the settings.
- Click on the option Update and Security and select Troubleshoot.
- Select the option Printer Troubleshooter, and run it.
- This will help to fix the printer’s offline status.
By restarting the Printer:
By restarting the printer plus check its Connectivity, a person can turn the printer from offline to online. If the printer has been online plus not in use (or not working) for some time, it may reach to its idle state or in sleep mode. To solve such a case, turn the printer off and for a few minutes and then restart it. Also, check whether the printer is connected to its power source or not. By doing this, the status of the printer will be changed.